Thursday, June 15, 2006

"what kind of meat is this"?


OK.. so Christopher comes down to my place for lunch today, soup and a sandwich -- nothing special. We had picked it up at the rainforest safeway yesterday; the soup was called pepper pot. I'd never heard of it, but it looked sort of like beef and barley, and Christopher wanted to get it. Hell what do I care. So.. were having our lunch, and im first to try the soup... the meat in it looked kinda like chinese style bbq pork. I asked Christopher:
"did you notice what kind of meat was in this soup"
Naw" he replies.. "why"?

"Cause it doesnt look like beef" I answer.
"its probably pork"
I thought it looked like pork, and was fairly satisfied with that answer, so i had another bite - trying to avoid the meat and just get some of the veggies. But, there was so much meat in it, i decided to focus on my sandwich instead -- which I was certain was ham. Christopher, having devoured his sandwich already, moved on to the soup. He had about 3 bites before he asked:
"Do you think its pork"?
I laughed, "Im really not sure"
He got up and got the campbells can out of the garbage and asked,
"Whats Tripe"?
I quickly covered my mouth scared i was going to puke...
"dear god tell me your joking"
"why!? Whats tripe"!?

Needless to say, I promptly lost my appitite, threw the rest of the soup out.. and tried not to think about it for the rest of the day. Christopher is NEVER going to be incharge of choosing the soup ever again.

3 comments:

itinerant_tee said...

is this where i ask what the hell menudo is?

Anonymous said...

is that tripe? Oh my god, remind me never to eat Menudo, what ever it is.

From now on I will be a little more selective at the mexican restaurant, not that we have any real ones here in Vancouver.

ma

itinerant_tee said...

i looked it up -- curiosity got the better of me. Menudo is some sort of grotesque excuse for soup -- its got a ton of tripe in it. Ill make sure to avoid that one, thats for sure. Thank you Mr Chris for the heads up -- when it comes to mexian ill stick to the tacos.