Wednesday, June 14, 2006

... I have a lemon tree in my back yard...


OK.. so it's not really in my backyard.. its in my neighbour's back yard, but some of the lemons hang over the edge of the fence, so that means their mine right? Ive never seen a lemon tree before -- and im not sure if its because im still in shock about being in californ-i-a but i sure think the lemon tree is cool. I sat outside on the balcony that over looks our back "yard" and played my guitar in the sun today facing the lemon tree, playing a homage to it. Christopher and I didnt make it on the picnic today, time just seems to fly too fast. We went to the pub by the base for lunch, and oh my god I had the BEST california chicken burger Ive ever had (cheesy i know but i had to order it). It was a bit strange being the ONLY civilian in the place, besides the staff. The presidio (aka the DLI, aka Christopher's base/school) is on top of a huge hill, and when they play the songs that they broadcast across the base you can hear them all the way down at my house. Im glad that the 7am reveiller went un-noticed by me this morning. Taps was beautiful though. They play it every night at 10 pm in remembrance to those who have fallen. It was almost erie. I walked christopher back to base for his 10pm curfew, and jogged down the hill home after, and the song just broadcasted over the whole hill. It was like something out of a movie. I made it home from the base in 4 minutes at a really slow jog, so thats how close we are. Its so cool! We went to a pub for dinner tonight, and the oilers game was on. Go oilers! Anyway I met a fellow canadian, from Coquitlam no less. Nothing like hockey to bring canadians together. I enjoyed dinner, we sat at the window and i did some people watching. The city is filled with so many young people because there are so many schools here. Im enjoying myself, and am doing better adjusting than i thought i would. Now if i can only find a place to get some damn keys cut so i can venture out on my own with out needing to be back to let Adama in! Down town is so small i cant seem to find anywhere to do it!
Other than that, So far so good. Ill post some pictures soon. Promise.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so that's the famous lemon tree. I'll bet you didn't rush out and buy a cd of Man of La Mancha just to hear the song, Lemon Tree.

Too bad. Your loss, its a great little song. I heard it thirty five years ago and i still sing the chorus sometimes. Or at least part of it. The part that goes," lemon tree very pretty, and the lemon flower is sweet, but the fruit of the poor lemon is impossible to eat.

That's all I know so I sing it over and over and over and over for thirty five years already. Give me a break with the lemon tree song.
ma

itinerant_tee said...

lol.. so what, you tell me so i can get it stuck in my head? Gee thanks. Now thats love.
By the way, ive never even heard of La mancha. I hope that makes you feel as old as i did when no one knew who mr furley was.
;)